ROCK HILL, TX (COLLIN COUNTY)
ROCK HILL, TEXAS (Collin County). Rock Hill is a farming community on State Highway 289 four miles north of Frisco in far western Collin County. It received a post office in 1854 and was one of the earliest communities established in the county. J. J. Thompson built a gristmill and cotton gin there to serve area farmers. Later the community added a school and two churches. By around 1900 Rock Hill had a population of just over 100. The number of residents declined rapidly, however, when the town was bypassed by the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway. Many Rock Hill residents and businesses moved to nearby Prosper to be on the rail line. In 1904 the Rock Hill post office was discontinued, and mail for the community was routed through Frisco. The number of residents at Rock Hill did not again exceed 100. From 1945 through 1990 its population was reported as twenty-five.
Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, A History of Collin County (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1958).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "ROCK HILL, TX (COLLIN COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnr35), accessed August 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.