RANGERVILLE, TEXAS. Rangerville is on Farm Road 1479 four miles southwest of Harlingen in southwestern Cameron County. The community was named for the Texas Rangerqv camp maintained near the Old Military Road, which was laid during the Mexican War. By 1922 the community had an estimated fifty inhabitants and five businesses, and a post office operated there from 1924 to 1942. With the introduction of irrigation and citrus-fruit farming in the early 1920s, Rangerville became a shipping point. In the late 1940s it had two stores, a church, and an estimated eighty residents. The community had an estimated population of 280 in 1990. The population dropped to 203 in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "RANGERVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnr08), accessed April 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.