PURVES, TEXAS. Purves, on Farm Road 219 seven miles southeast of Dublin in southwestern Erath County, was named for William M. Purves, the first postmaster, and John Purves, who established a church in 1890. The population was 117 in 1900. The post office operated from 1897 to 1907. In 1947 the population was ninety-five, and the town had two businesses, two churches, and a school. By 1980 the population was fifty, where it remained in 1990.
Homer Stephen, Fragments of History: Erath County (Stephenville, Texas, 1966). Homer Stephen, History of Erath County (Stephenville, Texas: Dublin Progress, 1950).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "PURVES, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnp64), accessed May 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.