PROGRESS, TEXAS. Progress, on U.S. highways 70 and 84, near the Parmer county line in far northern Bailey County, was once a station on the Pecos and Northern Texas Railway. When the town was founded in 1907 residents hoped that the area would become a center for the production of fruits and vegetables, but the development did not occur. In 1940 the town had two stores and 100 residents. In 1980 the local farm population had declined, and the community had forty-nine residents. The population through 2000 was still forty-nine.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."PROGRESS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnp57), accessed July 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.