sidebar menu icon


PLASKA, TEXAS. Plaska, on Farm Road 657 two miles north of the Prairie Dog Town Fork of the Red River in central Hall County, originated on land owned at the time by a noted Baptist circuit rider, J. L. Pyle, and later by W. W. Orr. Originally the community was called Lodge; a post office was established in March 1905 at the home of James M. Dickson, who served as postmaster. This office was discontinued in April 1909, and when the Lodge community sought to have it restored in 1920, postal authorities reported another Texas post office by that name. The name Pulaski was suggested by M. N. Orr, for his hometown in Tennessee, but the name came back from Washington spelled "Plaska." The community's first business was Billie Norman's blacksmith shop, built in 1907. This was soon followed by three general stores, a barbershop, and a hatchery. James Dickson built and managed the first of three gins in 1908. The first schoolhouse was built in 1910 and doubled as a church until a church building was erected in 1915. In 1925 the estimated population was twenty; by 1927 it had risen to 200. Plaska continued to thrive until the 1930s, when the Great Depression and highway improvements resulted in a general decline. By 1933, when the population was again estimated at twenty, Plaska had a store, a garage, a barbershop, two churches, and a brick school for grades one through nine. High school students were bussed to Memphis. The population rose to an estimated eighty by 1939. The post office closed in 1954, and by the 1980s Plaska had only a store and a cotton gin. The population was twenty-one in 1970 and twenty-eight in 1990. The population remained the same in 2000.

Inez Baker, Yesterday in Hall County (Memphis, Texas, 1940). Virginia Browder, Hall County Heritage Trails, 1890–1980 (2 vols., Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains, 1982, 1983). Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
H. Allen Anderson

Image Use Disclaimer

All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.

For more information go to:

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.


The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Handbook of Texas Online, H. Allen Anderson, "Plaska, TX," accessed October 20, 2017,

Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Texas AlmanacFor more information about towns and counties including physical features, statistics, weather, maps and much more, visit the Town Database on!