PHALBA, TEXAS. Phalba, also known as Snider Springs, is on State Highway 198 and Farm Road 316 eleven miles southwest of Canton in southwest Van Zandt County. The settlement was originally named for John Snider, who bought the land on which the springs were located on November 3, 1853. A Snider Springs school, established by 1890, had an enrollment of 104 in 1904 and was consolidated with the Canton Independent School District in 1950. On June 1, 1895, Phalba was the scene of a triple murder resulting from a charge of hog theft. The town bore its original name until 1897, when residents applied for a post office and named it in honor of the daughter of Joseph William Jordan, a local resident. The post office was discontinued in 1907, when mail for Phalba residents was rerouted to Mabank in Kaufman County. By 1936 the community had two churches, one business, a school, several residences, and a population of sixty-five. Local depression sewing rooms made garments for the poor in 1939, and the Phalba school was consolidated with the Canton district in 1950. The population declined to a low of thirty in 1966, when the town had two churches, three businesses, and a cemetery; residents numbered fifty-eight in 1974, but by 1987 only scattered dwellings and a few businesses remained at the townsite. The population was still listed as fifty-eight in 2000.
William Samuel Mills, History of Van Zandt County (Canton, Texas, 1950). Van Zandt County History Book Committee, History of Van Zandt County (Dallas, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "PHALBA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnp26), accessed November 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles