OTIS CHALK, TX
OTIS CHALK, TEXAS. Otis Chalk is on Farm Road 821 in the southeastern corner of Howard County. It became an oil boomtown during the 1920s, when it was named for the rancher on whose land oil was found in April 1926. The adjacent oilfield also bears the rancher's name. According to some sources the post office was established on February 3, 1939, when the town was still known as Chalkton; the name of the post office and the town was changed to Otis Chalk on June 1, 1939. In 1947 Otis Chalk had a population of fifty, a business, and a post office. In 1990 its population was reported as seventy-nine. The population remained the same in 2000.
Historic Howard County (Big Spring, Texas: Howard County Survey Committee, n.d.).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Noel Wiggins, "OTIS CHALK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hno20), accessed April 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.