- Annual Meeting
- Get Involved
NOONDAY, TX (SMITH COUNTY)
NOONDAY, TEXAS (Smith County). Noonday is on State Highway 155 three miles west of Gresham and seven miles south of Tyler in southern Smith County. The area was settled by the 1860s, when the Spring Hill Methodist Church was built. In 1880 a post office was established there with Edward W. Smith as postmaster. In 1884 the town had twenty-five inhabitants, a gristmill, a cotton gin, a grocery store, a district school, and a church. In 1892 A. J. McMinn deeded one-half acre to start the Noonday Methodist Episcopal Church, South, replacing the old Spring Hill Church. Two years later a black school was taught by J. W. Benson. Records for 1903 showed one school with three teachers and fifty white pupils and another with 122 black pupils and two teachers. The post office was moved to Flint in 1904. The community then became a Flint rural delivery route. The population was 100 in 1910, and in 1914 the first county road was built from Tyler to Noonday. By 1933 the population had declined to fifty-six, and the community had three stores and two churches. In 1936 it had a church, a cemetery, two businesses, a school, and a cluster of farms. The school had six teachers for grades one through eight and 147 white students. In 1943 Noonday reported a population of fifty-six and two businesses. By 1952 the local schools had been consolidated into the Noonday Independent School District, and the settlement centered around church and school activities. No businesses were reported after 1964, and by 1969 the schools had been absorbed into the Bullard Independent School District. Maps for 1973 identify Noonday as a church and a scattered collection of dwellings. In 1980 the population was still fifty-six. The community had grown to include 385 residents in 1987 and 428 in 1989. In 1990 the population was 466. The population grew to 515 in 2000.
BIBLIOGRAPHY:Edward Clayton Curry, An Administrative Survey of the Schools of Smith County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1938). Andrew Leath, "The Rushing House," Chronicles of Smith County, Summer 1975. "Post Offices and Postmasters of Smith County, Texas: 1847–1929," Chronicles of Smith County, Spring 1966. "School Sights," Chronicles of Smith County, Fall 1969. Smith County Historical Society, Historical Atlas of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Tyler Print Shop, 1965). Donald W. Whisenhunt, comp., Chronological History of Smith County (Tyler, Texas: Smith County Historical Society, 1983). Albert Woldert, A History of Tyler and Smith County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1948).
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Vista K. McCroskey, "NOONDAY, TX (SMITH COUNTY)," accessed December 17, 2018, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnn31.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.