MURRAY, TEXAS. Murray, at the intersection of Farm roads 209 and 578, fourteen miles southwest of Graham in southwestern Young County, was settled in 1874 by Thomas Price. J. J. Murray soon followed Price, and the two pioneers hunted buffalo and in 1875 made the first wagon passage through the Double Fork Mountains. Other pioneers included Russell Tyre, R. K. Mayes, and the Carmack and Walsh families. The new town was named for Murray when the post office was established in 1880. By 1886 a community of twenty-seven Methodists worshipped together, and a new church was built in 1907. Murray had a population of twenty-nine in 1980; by then the post office had been closed. The population was still recorded as twenty-nine in 1990. The population grew to forty-five in 2000.
Carrie J. Crouch, Young County: History and Biography (Dallas: Dealey and Love, 1937; rev. ed., A History of Young County, Texas, Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1956). Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "MURRAY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm75), accessed April 18, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.