MONROE, TEXAS. Monroe is near Wyche Branch, Bonner Creek, and Tiawichi Creek in northeastern Rusk County. It was named by early settlers who came to Texas from Monroe County, Georgia. The first postmaster was appointed in 1860. After closing and reopening twice, the post office was discontinued in 1904 and the mail sent to Kilgore. Cattle and hay have been the main local products, though in the 1980s gas and oil came into production. In 1940 Monroe had a reported population of sixty and by 1950 had increased to 140, the number it maintained throughout the 1960s. In 1972 and 1986 the population was ninety-six, although an unofficial count by residents in the latter year put the number at 246. A community building was constructed in 1932, and it has been used for quiltings, family reunions, plays, receptions, and on some occasions church activities. It is also a permanent polling place for 1,300 registered voters. In 1990 the population was still recorded as ninety. In 2000 the population was listed as ninety-six.
Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele and Betty Jo Walker, "MONROE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm55), accessed May 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.