MIXON, TEXAS. Mixon is at the junction of State Highway 135 and Farm roads 2493 and 3052, twenty miles north of Rusk in northern Cherokee County. The area was first settled in the early 1850s and was originally known as Pine Springs. A church, a school, and a cemetery were established in the mid-1850s, but a settlement did not begin to develop until 1889, when a post office was established and the name changed to Mixon. At its height in the mid-1890s Mixon had a general store, a school, a cotton gin, two gristmills, and a population of seventy-five. The post office closed in 1907, but as late as 1940 the community still had two stores, a school, and a population of seventy. The school and the remaining businesses closed after World War II, and in the early 1990s only a few scattered houses and two Baptist churches remained in the area. In 1990 the reported population was fifty. The population remained the same in 2000.
Cherokee County History (Jacksonville, Texas: Cherokee County Historical Commission, 1986). Hattie Joplin Roach, A History of Cherokee County (Dallas: Southwest, 1934).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Shelia Kirkland, "MIXON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm50), accessed May 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.