MIDDLETON, TEXAS. Middleton is at the intersection of Farm roads 811 and 119, near Boggy Creek nine miles southeast of Centerville in southeastern Leon County. The community, named for William B. Middleton (the first sheriff of Leon County and an important early settler), was founded in 1844, when Middleton opened a store on the site. A post office was established for the community in 1867, and in 1881 school was taught in a small house there. In 1884 Middleton had a population of fifty, four gin and grist mills, three churches, a district school, and a general store; at that time the community shipped cotton, corn, and livestock. It is likely that the churches met in private homes, as local sources claim the community's first church building was erected in 1939. Middleton reached its peak population, an estimated 200 inhabitants, in 1914, when it also had two general stores, a blacksmith shop, a grocery store, and a cotton gin. At various times the community has had a canning-house cooperative, an icehouse, a brick kiln, and a garage. Middleton's population dropped to fifty in the 1920s and 1930s. In 1940 the community comprised the church, a factory, one other business, and scattered dwellings. Its post office was discontinued in 1954. The community reported a population of 120 from 1943 to 1967 and twenty-six from 1968 to 2000. Its church was still standing in 1990.
Leon County Historical Book Survey Committee, History of Leon County (Dallas: Curtis Media, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "MIDDLETON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm38), accessed April 18, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.