MEDICINE MOUND, TX
MEDICINE MOUND, TEXAS. Medicine Mound, on Farm Road 1167 twelve miles east of Quanah in east central Hardeman County, took its name from four local elevations, 200 to 250 feet high: these mounds were camps and ceremonial sites of the Comanches. The community moved 2½ miles north in 1908, when the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway was built. At one time Medicine Mound had a population of 500 and twenty-two businesses, including a newspaper (the Citizen). A fire in 1932 destroyed most of the business buildings, and few were rebuilt. In 1940 the town had six stores and 210 people. Its school was consolidated with that of Quanah in 1955, and the post office and gin shut down in the 1950s. The population was fifty in 1980 through 2000.
Bill Neal, The Last Frontier: The Story of Hardeman County (Quanah, Texas: Quanah Tribune-Chief, 1966).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "MEDICINE MOUND, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnm28), accessed November 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles