LUMKINS, TEXAS. Lumkins (also spelled Lumpkins) is a tiny farming community located off U.S. Highway 77 about ten miles south of Waxahachie in southern Ellis County. The settlement probably began in the late 1800s and was named for the Lumpkins family. James W. Lumpkins came to Ellis County in 1874, purchased land, and began farming in the area. A cotton gin in the community probably served neighborhood farmers, but by the 1930s Lumkins did not appear on highway maps. No population estimates were available until 1990 and 2000, when the community reported twenty residents.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "LUMKINS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnl56), accessed August 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.