LEVI, TEXAS. Levi is on Bull Hide Creek and Farm Road 2643, fourteen miles south of Waco in southern McLennan County. It was named for Levi Robinson, a local landowner. A post office was established in July 1897 with John Young as postmaster. It was discontinued in 1902, when mail for the community was rerouted through Lorena. A few scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in the 1930s and 1940s, when the population was estimated at forty-eight. The population fell to twenty in the 1950s but rose again to fifty in the early 1960s. A grain business and fifty residents were reported in the 1980s. The population remained at fifty in 2000.
Dayton Kelley, ed., The Handbook of Waco and McLennan County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972). William Robert Poage, McLennan County Before 1980 (Waco: Texian, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "LEVI, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnl27), accessed September 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.