LEADAY, TEXAS. Leaday, on the Colorado River and Farm Road 2134, in southwestern Coleman County, was founded in 1861 by Rich Coffeyqv, who camped on Grape Creek for two or three years before homesteading at the mouth of the Concho River. Coffey's store, saloon, and post office at the Trap Crossing of the Colorado River was later washed away, and a new site called Trigger was established across the river. In 1876 William H. Day's ranch included the area, and Coffey's rock house became the ranch headquarters. Leaday developed with the sale of ranchland to farmers and was named for the ranch owners, J. C. Lea and his wife, Mabel, who had been Mrs. William H. Day (see LEA, MABEL DOSS). It was laid out in 1904. In 1946 the community had a gin, a post office, four stores, and 100 residents. The population was fifty-five in 1980 and 1990.
Leona Bruce, They Came in Peace to Coleman County (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1970).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."LEADAY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnl18), accessed April 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.