LAMASCO, TEXAS. Lamasco is on Farm Road 1396 eight miles northeast of Bonham in north central Fannin County. It was established about 1850 and given a portmanteau name made of the names of three early settlers, Law, Mason, and Scott. By 1888 Lamasco had a population of seventy-five, a general store, a drugstore, a steam gristmill, a sawmill, and two hotels. In addition, a post office operated there between 1886 and 1920. The population reached 179 by 1900, when Lamasco had a school, a sawmill, a hotel, two stores, and two churches. By the 1950s the community had only seventy residents and two businesses. In the 1980s through 2000 the population was thirty-two.
Fannin County Folks and Facts (Dallas: Taylor, 1977). Floy Crandall Hodge, A History of Fannin County (Hereford, Texas: Pioneer, 1966).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Brian Hart, "LAMASCO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnl08), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.