LA REFORMA, TX
LA REFORMA, TEXAS. La Reforma, on Farm Road 1017 three miles west of its intersection with Farm Road 681 in northeastern Starr County, was established in 1898 when the families of Cayetano Barrera and Arcadio Guerra, related through marriage, established a large ranch and named it La Reforma. A teacher was hired for the local children, and the school boarded children from neighboring ranches. About 1930 La Reforma was a temporary oil camp serving two fields in the area. During that time the settlement had several dwellings, three businesses, and an industrial building or factory. The site was then on a mail route from Delmita, four miles west. In 1991 the community had a small grocery, six homes, an old cotton gin building, and an oil and gas pumping station. In 2000 the population was forty-five.
Agnes G. Grimm, Llanos Mesteñas: Mustang Plains (Waco: Texian Press, 1968). Rio Grande Roundup: Story of Texas' Tropical Borderland (Mission, Texas: Border Kingdom, 1980). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, The Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1954).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Dick D. Heller, Jr., "LA REFORMA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnl01), accessed April 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.