JUNO, TEXAS. Juno is on Farm Road 189 and the Devils River a half mile southwest of Cully Draw in north central Val Verde County. As early as 1849 the United States Army stationed soldiers at Beaver Lake, three miles northeast of the Juno site, to protect thirsty travelers from Indian attack. The natural lake served as a landmark. By the 1880s the community, the second oldest settlement in the county, was a ranching supply center. The Edmondsons built a rock building for their general store, and Henry Stein operated a cafe that sold only frijoles and beer. The story goes that since all the customers knew about the menu, when Stein was asked about the offerings he answered, "Ju know." When application for a post office was made in 1885, Stein's reply was supposedly written as Juno and used as the official name. In June 1899 the townsite of 29.58 acres was surveyed, and fifty lots were laid out. J. T. Drisdale and his family settled there that year. T. L. Drisdale, son of J. T., took over the management of his father's ranch in 1901 and married Dulcie Rabb, who was a strong booster of Juno. She put up a sign on the edge of town that read "Pull for Juno or pull out." By 1901 the town had segregated schools that operated in the same building. The white school had one teacher and an enrollment of eighty-eight; the part-time black school had one teacher and an enrollment of twenty-nine. From 1901 to 1925 Juno continued to grow. A hotel and a land office were opened. The community had telephone and stage service. The Cadena family ran the blacksmith shop, and George Deaton drove the stage. From 1925 through 1962 Juno reported a population of seventy-five. That number rose to eighty in 1964 but declined to fifty by 1966. From 1968 to 2000 a population of ten was reported. For most of the years from 1931 until 1984 Juno reported one business. The post office closed in 1975, and the last reported business had closed by 1984.
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use, you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Handbook of Texas Online, Julia Cauble Smith, "Juno, TX," accessed May 05, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnj12.
Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history every day,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles