IZORO, TEXAS. Izoro is on Farm Road 1690 five miles east of the Lampasas River and 3½ miles northwest of Franklin Mountain in northern Lampasas County. It was established in the early 1880s and was originally called Higgins Gap after John Higgins, one of the early settlers in the area. During the early years the town was a rough place, subject to Indian raids and feuds among the settlers. In 1885 C. J. Dumas built a cotton gin in the community, and that same year E. J. Healer opened a general store. A post office was established in 1888 in nearby Coryell County with Thomas J. Upton as postmaster, and the town was renamed Izoro after Izoro Gillam, the daughter of a prominent settler. By 1914 the post office had been moved to Lampasas County. The town at that time had telephone service, two churches, a school, and three stores. Izoro grew slowly, reaching an estimated population of twenty-five in 1925. By 1927 the population was reported as 150, but it dropped to twenty-five again in 1933. In 1949 it was seventy-five, and from 1968 until 1990 it was reported as thirty-one. Izoro is a ranching community and a popular vacation area, since it is near several lakes and reservoirs that attract hunters, fishermen, and tourists. The town had one gas station and a combination post office and community center in the mid-1980s. By 2000 the population had dropped to seventeen. Izoro is a ranching community and a popular vacation area, since it is near several lakes and reservoirs that attract hunters, fishermen, and tourists.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alice J. Rhoades, "IZORO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hni12), accessed April 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.