IVAN, TEXAS. Ivan is at the junction of State Highway 67 and Farm Road 1148, on a local road leading to Possum Kingdom State Recreation Area in northeastern Stephens County. It was named by J. O. Brockman for his son. Lillian Brockman was the first postmaster in 1898. The population was sixty-one in 1920 but only fifteen in 1970, 1980, and 1990. In 1953 the Ivan post office closed, and by 1970 the population had fallen to only fifteen. That figure was still reported in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "IVAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hni11), accessed May 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.