HIRAM, TEXAS. Hiram is on Farm Road 2965 south of Interstate Highway 20 on the eastern edge of Kaufman County. It was once known as Locust Grove and was named Hiram in 1893, when the post office was established with James Hiram Hughes as postmaster. That office was closed in 1906. Hiram once was a prosperous trade center with mercantile stores, a cotton gin, three churches, and a doctor's office, as well as a sawmill nearby. The town's population was reported at 110 from 1904 to the late 1940s, when it dropped to thirty. In 1985 Hiram was a quiet community with three landmarks remaining: the Locust Grove Baptist Church, the Locust Grove cemetery, and the Locust Grove Nursing Home. Hiram still had a population reported as thirty in 1990. By 2000 the population was thirty-four.
Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jack Stoltz, "HIRAM, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnh31), accessed March 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.