HESTER, TEXAS. Hester, on the Chatfield road five miles northeast of Corsicana in extreme northeastern Navarro County, was settled in the early 1850s. A post office, named for Corsicana resident Tom Hester, opened there in 1890 but was discontinued in 1903. At its height around 1900 Hester had a cotton gin, a blacksmith shop, and a general store. In 1915 its population was reported at twenty-five. During the mid-1930s Hester had two stores and a number of houses. Its population in 1948 was estimated at fifty. By the mid-1960s, however, the community was no longer shown on highway maps, and in the early 1990s only a few scattered houses still remained in the area. In 2000 the population was thirty-five.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "HESTER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnh22), accessed April 18, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.