HAGANSPORT, TEXAS. Hagansport is at the junction of State Highway 37 and Farm Road 71, eleven miles northwest of Mount Vernon in northwestern Franklin County. It was originally located at a crossing of the Sulphur River named Hagan's Port for an early settler. The name was spelled Hagansport by 1857, when the post office was established with F. M. Sims as postmaster. The post office was closed in 1866, reopened in 1876, and then closed permanently in 1929. By 1884 Hagansport had four churches, a school, a mill, a gin, and an estimated population of 150. In 1896 the one-room, one-teacher school had sixty-nine pupils. During the 1890s Hagansport was said to be on the Sulphur River, but by the 1930s the center of the community had shifted to the south, on Farm Road 71, a mile east of its present location. At that time it had a sawmill, two churches, a school, four rated businesses, and a population of 125. Gradually, the center of the community shifted to its present location. In 1985 Hagansport had three churches, one business, and a population estimated at forty. The estimate was still forty through 2000.
Billy Hicks and Doris Meek, comps., Historical Records of Franklin County, Texas (Mount Vernon, Texas: Franklin County Historical Survey Committee, 1972). Wright Patman, History of Post Offices-First Congressional District of Texas (Texarkana, Texas, 1946?).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "HAGANSPORT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnh02), accessed May 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.