HACKBERRY, TX (COTTLE COUNTY)
HACKBERRY, TEXAS (Cottle County). Hackberry, in southeastern Cottle County, was named for a grove of hackberry trees that attracted settlers to a bend of the Little Wichita River. W. Q. Richards sold land in 1918 to Will Moss and W. L. Liedtke to start the community. Richards contributed to the support of a school established in 1914 and rebuilt in 1918. The post office, named Stewart to distinguish the town from another one called Hackberry, was discontinued in 1930. A cotton gin operated in Hackberry in 1924–25. The population was twenty-six in 1980, eighty-one in 1990, and thirty in 2000.
Carmen Taylor Bennett, Our Roots Grow Deep: A History of Cottle County (Floydada, Texas: Blanco Offset Printing, 1970).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."HACKBERRY, TX (COTTLE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnh01), accessed April 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.