GOULDBUSK, TEXAS. Gouldbusk, twenty miles south of Coleman in south central Coleman County, was named for William Gould-Busk, an English rancher who bought the Starkweather ranch around 1886. The town developed after the sale of ranchland for farms in 1903. It became a small center for cotton ginning and had a post office. In 1940 Gouldbusk had a gin, a post office, six businesses, and 150 residents, but a decline during and after World War II reduced the population to seventy by 1980. In 2000 it was still seventy.
Leona Bruce, They Came in Peace to Coleman County (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1970).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."GOULDBUSK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hng22), accessed May 22, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.