GLORY, TEXAS. Glory is on Farm Road 1498 nine miles south of Paris in south Lamar County. It was established in 1880 and named by post office officials in response to the enthusiastic description of the area given by store-owner Nick Ratliff, who had requested the name Richland. The post office operated from 1881 until 1915. By 1884 the community had several businesses, including three gristmills, a general store, and a blacksmith shop, and shipped cotton, corn, and wheat. The population was 150 in 1884 but had dropped to twenty-five by 1890. In 1914 the population was again recorded as 150, and a Baptist church was located in Glory. In the 1930s the town had three hotels, rows of dwellings on both sides of the main street, and a school. It maintained a population of 100 and two businesses until 1950, when the population fell to fifty. In 1990 Glory had a population of thirty, a church, and a business. The population remained at thirty in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Sarah E. Calcote, "GLORY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hng16), accessed September 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.