GLENFAWN, TEXAS. Glenfawn, on Farm Road 2753 some sixteen miles southwest of Henderson in southwestern Rusk County, may have been named by plantation owner Julien Sidney Devereux, who lived in the area before the Civil War. It is also variously opined that the name commemorates the killing of a fawn at the site by a man named Ellis Glenn or by a later settler, Glen Garland. The first postmaster at the community was Charles L. Nunally, appointed in 1872. In 1884 Glenfawn reported a population of 250 and a steam sawmill, a church, a district school, a doctor, and a wagonmaker, as well as gristmills, cotton gins, and general stores. B. B. Lyles was justice of the peace, and cotton, the principal local product, was shipped out through Henderson, the nearest railroad station. By 1890 Glenfawn had three churches and an estimated population of 250 to 400. W. B. Harper was justice of the peace. The population was reported as 150 in 1914 and 260 in 1925. It was reported as 260 until the mid-1940s, but from 1968 to 2000 it was 16. The post office was discontinued in 1955, and mail service was transferred to Cushing. Glenfawn, like many other small communities in Rusk County, has been principally a farming center.
Garland Roscoe Farmer, The Realm of Rusk County (Henderson, Texas: Henderson Times, 1951). Fred I. Massengill, Texas Towns: Origin of Name and Location of Each of the 2,148 Post Offices in Texas (Terrell, Texas, 1936). Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980). Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "GLENFAWN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hng13), accessed November 30, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles