FUNSTON, TEXAS. Funston is at the intersection of U.S. Highway 180 and Farm Road 1226, six miles east of Anson in central Jones County. The site was settled by T. J. Scott, a buffalo hunter who had lived at Fort Phantom Hill. Scott was a member of the first commissioners' court of Jones County in 1881. Four businesses and 100 residents were reported in Funston in 1940. In 1978 the community had a store and a church. The population was seventy-six in 1980 and 1990, but dropped to twenty-six by 2000.
Hooper Shelton and Homer Hutto, The First 100 Years of Jones County (Stamford, Texas: Shelton, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."FUNSTON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/HNF47), accessed October 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.