FRIENDSHIP, TX (WILLIAMSON COUNTY)
FRIENDSHIP, TEXAS (Williamson County). Friendship was on Farm Road 971 forty-five miles northeast of Austin in Williamson County, at a site now beneath Granger Lake. The community was founded in the 1880s by Czech and other immigrants and was associated with a second community, Allison, also called Old Friendship. Friendship once had a church, a school, a cooperative association, a general store, a gin, and a community center. In 1921 a new school was built at Friendship when Allison was destroyed by a flood. The decision to construct Laneport Dam (later renamed Granger Dam) on the San Gabriel River forced the occupants to sell their lands and dismantle Friendship Cemetery. In 1958 the school was consolidated with the Granger schools. The dam was constructed between 1972 and 1980.
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Clara Stearns Scarbrough, "FRIENDSHIP, TX (WILLIAMSON COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnf44), accessed May 22, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.