FRAME SWITCH, TX
FRAME SWITCH, TEXAS. Frame Switch, a small stock-raising community with a railroad flag stop, is on U.S. Highway 79 and the Missouri Pacific line, three miles west of Taylor in east central Williamson County. The site in 1882 had a sheep ranch run by Solomon George Yakey. In 1884 Yakey married an Ohio woman, Mattie Frame, and persuaded her parents to join him at the settlement; the community was named for David Frame, Mattie's father. A number of Danish immigrants settled in the area in the 1880s and 1890s. In 1890 Yakey built a school on land donated by the Frames, and in 1903 the school had fifty-eight pupils. Frame Switch remained a small community throughout the twentieth century, with a population of twenty reported from 1933 to 2000. Two businesses were reported there in 1943. In 1988 there remained one business, a locally popular bar called the Frame Switch Tavern. The tavern, for some time a community center of sorts, had in the 1980s one of the few jukeboxes anywhere with a recording of Moon Mullican's classic country song "Pipe Liner Blues."
Clara Stearns Scarbrough, Land of Good Water: A Williamson County History (Georgetown, Texas: Williamson County Sun Publishers, 1973).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "FRAME SWITCH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnf37), accessed March 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.