FIFE, TEXAS. Fife is on Elm Creek at the intersection of U.S. Highway 283 and Farm Road 765, eighteen miles north of Brady in northern McCulloch County. Robert Kay Finlay's mother named the site in 1882 in remembrance of her native Fifeshire, Scotland. A school was established at Fife in 1890 with Henry H. Smith as teacher. A post office opened in 1902. In 1914 Fife had two general stores, a cotton gin, and 200 residents. By the late 1940s the population had fallen to fifty, and the school had been consolidated with the Lohn district. The population was thirty-two in 1990 and again in 2000.
Jessie Laurie Barfoot, History of McCulloch County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1937). Wayne Spiller, comp., Handbook of McCulloch County History (Vol. 1, Seagraves, Texas: Pioneer, 1976; vol. 2, Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains Press, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "FIFE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnf18), accessed April 21, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.