DUFFAU, TEXAS. Duffau is on Farm Road 1824 and Duffau Creek, fifteen miles southeast of Stephenville in Erath County. The town was named for Duffo, an Indian buried nearby. By 1860 a post office had been established at the community, and by the mid-1880s Duffau was a flourishing town of about 350 with steam flour mills and cotton gins, four churches, a hotel, a district school, three doctors, and two deputy sheriffs. Railroad routes bypassed Duffau, however, and by the mid-1890s it had begun to decline. In 1940 it was a small trading center with a post office, seven businesses, and 110 residents. By 1980 its population had declined to seventy-six. It was still reported at that level in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Susan Shaw, "DUFFAU, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnd49), accessed June 02, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.