DOTHAN, TEXAS. Dothan, near the Callahan county line seven miles west of Cisco in northwestern Eastland County, is on the former site of a depot established as Delmar when the Texas and Pacific Railway built through the area in 1880. Within a year or two, Delmar apparently ceased to exist, as the focus of local rail activity shifted to Red Gap and then to Cisco in 1882. A new community named Dothan sprang up at the site and gained a post office in 1902. A school was established soon afterward, and by 1915 Dothan reported a population of fifty. The community's school was closed in 1940, by which time the population had declined to twenty, a level it still retained in 1990 and 2000.
Homer Stephen, The Frontier Postmasters (Dublin, Texas: Dublin Progress, 1952).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."DOTHAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnd36), accessed October 08, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.