DEWVILLE, TEXAS. Dewville is at the intersection of a country road and Farm Road 1117, near the southwestern corner of Gonzales County twenty-five miles southwest of Gonzales. It is on the Old San Antonio Road between the sites of two defunct communities, Albuquerque and Sandies Chapel. Dewville is named for two brothers, John Frank and Thomas M. Dew, who opened a steam-powered gin on the site in 1885. A Baptist church was organized there about 1890. The community was granted a post office in 1894, and in 1897 Sandies Chapel Methodist Church was moved to Dewville. A two-story school building was erected in the community in 1901, and Sandies Chapel School was consolidated with Dewville in 1907. In 1914 Dewville had a population of fifty, a gin, a general store, and telephone service. Its population was estimated at fifty-five from 1925 until the 1960s. At different times the community had a blacksmith shop, a meat market, and an Odd Fellows Hall. In 1940 Dewville comprised a post office, two churches, a school, a cemetery, and scattered dwellings. The post office closed in 1955. The community slowly lost population, as the nearby railroad community of Nixon prospered, and the population of Dewville dropped to forty in the 1960s and to fifteen by 1970. In 1990 the population was still estimated at fifteen, and the Methodist church and a cemetery were at the site. The population remained at fifteen in 2000.
Gonzales County Historical Commission, History of Gonzales County (Dallas: Curtis, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "DEWVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnd18), accessed September 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.