DENHAWKEN, TEXAS. Denhawken, at the junction of State Highway 119 and Farm Road 1347, fourteen miles east of Floresville in eastern Wilson County, was settled by German farmers between 1895 and 1898, when the San Antonio and Gulf Railroad was built to the area. By the mid-1930s the community had two stores and two mills. Children attended nearby Dillworth Ranch School. Ranching has been replaced by diversified farming as the mainstay of the local economy. The population of the rural community was seventy-five in 1947. In the 1980s Denhawken had two stores and a church. The population in 1990 and in 2000 was forty-six.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "DENHAWKEN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnd10), accessed May 22, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.