CONCORD, TX (LIBERTY COUNTY)
CONCORD, TEXAS (Liberty County). Concord is a small dispersed rural community located off State Highway 146 about twenty-five miles north of Liberty in northern Liberty County. The area's history is centered around the First Concord Baptist Church, which was founded on May 24, 1845. Margaret Moffette Lea Houston, Nancy Moffette Lea, Joseph L. Ellis,qqv and Rev. B. F. Brown were among the founders. The first church building was a large oak structure. Sam Houston, whose home was located about four miles away, often attended services. Concord Church joined the Texas Baptist State Convention in 1848. In 1857 First Concord Baptist Church reported a total of thirty-one members, including five African Americans, and a new building was constructed in 1870. During the latter nineteenth century and early twentieth century, Concord Church was associated with the nearby town of Ironwood, which later became Clark, Texas. Concord Church joined the Southeast Texas Association in 1909 and then for a second time in 1932. Highway maps in the 1930s showed the church, an adjoining cemetery, and a few farms in the area under the place name Concord Church. First Concord Baptist Church received a Texas Centennial Marker in 1936. The building burned in 1938, but a new structure was built the following year, and the congregation celebrated the church's one hundredth anniversary in 1945. At that time about sixty people were members. By 1970 the settlement, known simply as Concord, reported a population of twenty-six people. That number remained constant through 2000.
First Concord Baptist Church: 134th Anniversary (Rye, Texas: n.p., 1979); Miriam Partlow, Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District (Austin: Pemberton, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "CONCORD, TX (LIBERTY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hncbk), accessed May 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.