COTTONWOOD, TX (SOMERVELL COUNTY)
COTTONWOOD, TEXAS (Somervell County). Cottonwood is a small rural community located off Farm Road 204 about nine miles southwest of Glen Rose in western Somervell County. The settlement was probably named for the cottonwood trees in the area, and it developed around Cottonwood Missionary Baptist Church. After a series of open camp meetings was held in August 1874, area residents decided to construct a log building to serve as a church. By the early 1900s a rural school operated in the area. It continued through the 1930s and served farming families. By the mid-1940s the school was consolidated into the Glen Rose district. The church continued to operate throughout the twentieth century, and Cottonwood maintained a stable population of twenty-four from 1970 through 2000.
W. C. Nunn, Somervell: Story of a Texas County (Fort Worth: Texas Christian University Press, 1975). Somervell County Centennial, 1875–1975 (Glen Rose: Somervell County Centennial Association, Historical Booklet Committee, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Laurie E. Jasinski, "COTTONWOOD, TX (SOMERVELL COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/HNCBJ), accessed April 17, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.