CLAIRETTE, TEXAS. Clairette, on State Highway 6 some fifteen miles southeast of Stephenville in southeastern Erath County, was established when the Texas Central Railroad was constructed through the area in the early 1880s. The community was named for a popular brand of soap. In 1940 it had 275 residents, five businesses, several churches, and a post office. Changes in agriculture and transportation patterns subsequently reduced the town's prosperity. From 1968 until 2000 its population was estimated at fifty-five. The 1984 county highway map showed a church, a community hall, and three businesses at Clairette.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CLAIRETTE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc63), accessed April 18, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.