CIRCLE BACK, TX
CIRCLE BACK, TEXAS. Circle Back, at the junction of Farm roads 298 and 3397, in eastern Bailey County, was named for a ranch to the south whose brand was a circle on the backs of cattle. From 1918 to 1954 the settlement had a six-grade school and at one time about a dozen houses, a filling station, and a store-post office. Zue Smart ran the store, which burned in 1954. In 1949 the community, which served surrounding cattle and sheep ranches, had 100 people. By 1980 the population had dwindled to forty-nine, and by the mid-1980s only the Baptist minister and his wife and two children remained. In 1990 and again in 2000 the population was reported as ten.
LaVonne McKillip, ed., Early Bailey County History (Muleshoe, Texas, 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "CIRCLE BACK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc59), accessed April 18, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.