CARLSON, TEXAS. Carlson is near Farm Road 973 nine miles east of Pflugerville in northeastern Travis County. It was probably named for a local family. As early as 1881 the community had a school, which in 1903 had one teacher and sixty students. Carlson had a store, several residences, and twenty-five residents in the mid-1930s. The Carlson school was consolidated with several neighboring districts in the early 1940s to form the Manda common school district. The population of Carlson was reported at 100 in 1945 and at sixty-one in 1972. Only the name marked the community on county highway maps in the early 1990s. In 2000 the population was still reported at sixty-one.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "CARLSON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc13), accessed November 24, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on September 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Get Texas history everyday,
with day by day
Each day's email tells a little bit more of the story of Texas and links to our collection of more than 27,000 articles