CARLISLE, TX (TRINITY COUNTY)
CARLISLE, TEXAS (Trinity County). Carlisle is on Farm Road 356 fourteen miles southwest of Groveton in southwestern Trinity County. The area was first settled around the time of the Civil War, but a settlement did not begin to grow up until the late nineteenth century. The community was named for John Carlisle, who founded mills in the Carlisle and Carmona areas. After 1900 the Beaumont and Great Northern Railway built through the area, and Carlisle became a station. A post office was established there in 1906 and closed in 1955. The population reached 100 in the early 1930s and remained at roughly that level through 1990, when Carlisle was a dispersed farming community with a reported population of ninety-five. The population dropped to sixty-eight in 2000.
Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986). Trinity County Historical Commission, Trinity County Cemeteries (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "CARLISLE, TX (TRINITY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc12), accessed April 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.