CALL JUNCTION, TX
CALL JUNCTION, TEXAS. Call Junction is at the intersection of Farm Road 1004 and U.S. Highway 96, forty-five miles north of Beaumont in extreme east central Jasper County. The area around Call Junction and Call, its sister community in Newton County, was developed by lumberman George Adams, who named the site after business associate Dennis Call. Adams and Call joined M. T. Jones in organizing the Cow Creek Tram Company, which built a sawmill at the Call site in 1895, using the newly constructed Gulf, Beaumont and Kansas City Railway to ship its product. With the subsequent completion of the Orange and Northwestern Railway in 1906, the station on the GB&KC line took the name Call Junction. Both Call and Call Junction depended heavily on the sawmill, which was located in the Jasper County section of Call. Nonetheless, Call Junction had a separate post office from 1908 to 1927. It also was organized as a voting precinct in March 1912. The local mill closed in 1953, but Call Junction still reported fifty residents during the early 1970s. The discovery of oil to the south, at the Call, Call Junction, and Sally Withers fields, with new wells dug between the 1930s and the 1970s, gave the community new economic impetus. In 2000 its population was still reported as fifty.
Newton County Historical Commission, Glimpses of Newton County History (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "CALL JUNCTION, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnc04), accessed April 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.