BURLEIGH, TEXAS. Burleigh is on Farm Road 529 and the west bank of the Brazos River, six miles east of Bellville in far eastern Austin County. Settlement in the vicinity began in the 1820s, but the town itself was not founded until the late nineteenth century. A local post office was established in a general store in 1893 but was discontinued in 1913. Sixty-two pupils were enrolled at the Burleigh school in 1918. In 1968 Burleigh's population stood at an estimated 150. In the early 1980s three churches and two schools operated in the community. By 1972 the population had fallen to an estimated sixty-nine, where it remained through 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles Christopher Jackson, "BURLEIGH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnbac), accessed May 06, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.