BRAD, TEXAS. Brad, on U.S. Highway 180 and State Highway 16 twenty miles west of Mineral Wells in west central Palo Pinto County, was named for its founder, Bradford Fitzgerald. In 1940 Brad had twenty-eight residents and three stores. After the completion of the Possum Kingdom dam in 1945, Brad became one of the entry points to Possum Kingdom Reservoir and its recreational facilities. The community's population was reported as twenty-six in 1980 and 1990. The population was sixteen in 2000.
J. C. Koen, A Social and Economic History of Palo Pinto County (M.A. thesis, Hardin-Simmons University, 1949).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "BRAD, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnb70), accessed March 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.