BOXELDER, TEXAS. Boxelder is 7½ miles south of Annona in southeastern Red River County. The town was named for the trees found along the bottoms of Shawnee and Crooked Branch creeks. Planters started a scattered community at the site between 1840 and 1860. Henry A. Sloan became postmaster when the office was established there in 1885. The community's population was fifty in 1910, and in 1940 it reported two businesses and a population of seventy-five. By 1956 its post office had been closed. In 1986 the population of Boxelder was estimated at seventy-five, and the community reported no businesses. During the early 1990s Boxelder reported a population of more than 250. In 2000 the population was 258.