BENTONVILLE, TEXAS. Bentonville is on State Highway 44 seven miles east of Alice in east central Jim Wells County. A post office established there in 1910 operated until 1932. Bentonville was named for an early settler. By 1914 the community had a population of fifty, two general stores, a cotton gin, and a blacksmith. A stop on the Texas-Mexican Railway was also established there that year. By 1936 the town had only scattered dwellings and farm units. In 1949 it had a population of twenty and one business. The population remained constant in the 1950s and 1960s and decreased to fifteen in 1974. In 1979 the community had scattered dwellings, a windmill, an oil well, and was a stop on the Texas-Mexican Railway. In 2000 the population was still fifteen.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "BENTONVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hnb26), accessed October 10, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.