ALTOGA, TEXAS. Altoga is on Farm Road 1827 ten miles northeast of McKinney in northeastern Collin County. It was named by Dock Owensby, who wanted the town to have a motto and suggested "all together." By 1910 the community had seven stores, a public school, two cotton gins, and a popular brass band. A local post office operated from 1889 until 1900 and reopened in 1915. Early contradictory estimates give Altoga a population of fifty or 133 residents in 1915. By 1929 the town had grown to 250, but it declined to 150 by 1941. Mail was discontinued in 1937, when the number of businesses was four. By 1970 Altoga had only fifty residents. However, the population, benefitting from the growth of nearby McKinney, was 358 in 1980. In 1990 it was 367. The population remained the same in 2000.
Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, A History of Collin County (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1958).