ALEMAN, TEXAS. Aleman, at the junction of Farm roads 932 and 3340 eight miles southeast of Hamilton in central Hamilton County, was settled by German immigrants from Washington County. In 1886 Rev. Thomas Kohn held the first church services there, and St. Paul's Lutheran Church subsequently became the center of a community. Originally the settlement was called Pleasant Point, but in 1907, when it was moved a mile to the railroad line, it was renamed Piggtown, after promoter Mack Pigg. The name was later changed to Aleman, Spanish for "German," used by Mexican railroad workers. For some years a cotton gin, blacksmith shop, and cafe operated there. In 1954 Aleman had the church, an elementary school, and a store. An Aleman post office operated from 1914 until 1943. In 1980, 1990, and 2000 the population was sixty.
Hamilton County Historical Commission, A History of Hamilton County, Texas (Dallas: Taylor, 1979). Oran J. Pool, A History of Hamilton County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1954).
William R. Hunt
Image Use Disclaimer
All copyrighted materials included within the Handbook of Texas Online are in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107 related to Copyright and “Fair Use” for Non-Profit educational institutions, which permits the Texas State Historical Association (TSHA), to utilize copyrighted materials to further scholarship, education, and inform the public. The TSHA makes every effort to conform to the principles of fair use and to comply with copyright law.