WOODSON, TEXAS. Woodson, on U.S. Highway 183 and Farm roads 209 and 1710, in southeastern Throckmorton County, is the second largest town in the county. A post office was established there in 1905. In 1914 the town had a population of 250, two churches, a bank, and a weekly newspaper, the Woodson Record. The community grew after the construction of the Cisco and Northeastern Railway in 1926 and survived as a southeastern county market center after railroad service terminated in 1943. The population was 600 in 1940 but has declined since then because of the greater attraction of Throckmorton and Albany in Shackelford County. Woodson had a population of 450 in 1950, 340 in 1970, and 291 in 1980. The town has a post office and is incorporated. Lake Woodson is northwest of town on Kings Creek. In 1990 the population of Woodson was 262. The population was 296 in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "WOODSON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlw49), accessed April 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.